Violence Restraining Order (VRO) & Misconduct Restraining Order (MRO)
There are 2 types of Restraining Orders:
violence restraining order; and misconduct restraining order.
Violence Restraining Order (VRO) is an order made by the court that prohibits the respondent from certain behaviour, such as harassment, stalking, intimidation, violence or the threat of violence. The purpose of an VRO is to provide protection from this behaviour in the future – it usually states that a person cannot behave as such or go within a certain distance of the home or workplace of the person lodging the complaint.
The Court can make a VRO if it thinks that without it, the respondent is likely to:
- commit an act of abuse against the applicant
- act in a way that could make the applicant reasonably fear that they will commit an act of abuse against the applicant
AND the court thinks that a VRO should be granted in the circumstances.
The court can make a MRO if it thinks that without it, the respondent is likely to:
- act in a way that could reasonably make you feel intimidated or offended and would in fact actually intimidate or offend you, or
- cause damage to your property or property you have with you, or
- act in a way that is, or may lead to, a breach of the peace
AND the court thinks a MRO should be granted in the circumstances.
What happens if someone tries to make an VRO or MRO against you?
You can object to the restraining order being made out against you and have the matter adjourned for trial at a later date.
If you need to make an application for VRO or MRO, or if somebody has made an application to take take out a VRO or MRO against you, please contact us so that an experienced solicitor can assist you with your matter.
We are affordable restraining orders lawyers in Perth and happy to negotiate a reasonable fixed fees for assisting you with your restraining order matter. Our lawyers can appear for you in Perth, Midland, Fremantle, Armadale, Rockingham, Mandurah, Joondalup, Bunbury and other regional areas of Western Australia.